Friday, 9 September 2011

Electric World

You don't notice it too much right now, but the world you live in is powered by electricity.  This electricity went out yesterday-internationally.  Internationally might be a bit of a stretch given that the total powerless area was not that large...people in two countries were in the dark so in my book that is international.   It was about a 12 hour span of time, much better than the expected 24+.  I did not notice that it was out until we were unable to Skype and I realized it was about 15 degrees hotter since the fan was off.  You might have noticed that we weren't skyping, the fan wasn't cooling and your Daddy came home early.  But, I don't think you understood why.  After a couple of hours, we decided to go see if any stores/restaurants were open.  Hmmm...no electricity not only means no skype, no fan, Daddy home early but it also means no library, no Ralphs, no restaurants.

Thankfully, the grill at the pool is gas powered!  Your Daddy started it with a match just at the right time because as soon as we put our food on, a line formed.  We ate poolside among many neighbors, then came back to our apartment and readied for bed by candlelight, just as I am sure they did in that little house on the prairie I will tell you about someday.  When the sun went down and there were no street lights it was DARK.  I woke around 2:30 to light coming in the window and knew the power had been restored.

One thing I noticed when it was dark was how brightly the lights shone through the black.  We could see flashlights from a far, car headlights were blinding and the moon was so bold.

You won't remember those 12 hours during that one day just before your first birthday.  But, know this for certain:
Darkness cannot hide the light.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.                                                                                                                           John 1: 1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment